Monday, November 11, 2013

Got books?

This weekend was a $1,300 success! Kyle happily watched his books, CDs, and childhood G.I. Joe and Star Wars toys leave our garage. He'd thank me for helping throughout the weekend and I'd thank him for his help (since I didn't really do anything) and he'd say, "you mean for keeping all my stuff all these years?" Hey, if it helps get our little one home, then it was all perfect timing, even if he did have to keep some of it for over 30 years for this perfect moment. :)
We still have sooooooo many books left. This is what our garage looks like right now...(minus CDs)

 Thanks for putting up the lights Chris, they were perfect for our sale!!
 
As comfy as it looks (I could spend all day and night out there reading if I didn't have other responsibilities), it's a little overwhelming since we don't know what we're going to do with it all. We're considering doing another sale black friday weekend, but haven't decided yet. I've also posted it all on craigslist and am going to email a book reseller that came and bought a bunch this weekend to see if he or anyone he knows would like it all for a deal. We have some GREAT stuff left and are hoping to just get it out of there.
Kyle still also has a few hundred CDs left we're going to see if we can sell to Amazon. And a fellow toy nerd came by this weekend and told Kyle about the GIJoeCon that happens to take place in Dallas in 2014 (50th year!), so we're definitely going to look into getting a booth to sell all his little Joe guys. This guy picked 5 or 6 guys out and offered Kyle $20 for them when Kyle would have given them up for $2. Maybe we can fund the whole rest of the adoption with these plastic people. I'm going to be living with a G.I. Joe nerd for the next six months--I can't even begin to explain how excited Kyle is to get to research (play with) all his toys.
We had a lot of fun, and had our awesome friends over Friday night for a kick off party. They were as generous as ever. I know there was some buying just to help us out, but we also have some serious book and music fans for friends, so I think they enjoyed going through everything. Right, friends?! ;)

I emailed our social worker last week and she never replied so I sent a follow up email today and after a few explanations of why we've been put off for other families I THINK she's agreed to have ours written up next. Which supposedly means we'll have it to look over this week. Pray that happens. It stinks that this is just the first step and we're already having to wait longer than promised. I don't know how I'm going to handle the waiting when we're matched with our child! I might have to get into G.I. Joes to keep myself busy.

4 comments:

  1. Save some of those books to read while you wait! That's an impressive garage full of books! You made a good bit of money, too! Why not have another sale and promote it all over? We promoted our garage sale on Facebook through a buy, sale, trade page for our city. We posted it a few times leading up to the sale and tons of people said they heard about it on Facebook. We also took out an ad in a few newspapers. I'll see if I can think of anything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately we can only have 3 sales within a 12 month period and we've already had two with one planned for the spring and we can't really keep the books out there until then--they should have even been packed up by now...oops. ;) We did a pretty good job promoting it, but newspaper ads we didn't do--that's a great idea!! definitley for our next sale!

      Delete
  2. Fantastic total -- with the potential for it to go up!! I love that Kyle is willing to give up his collectibles for the cause . . . that is so sweet of him to sacrifice things from his childhood so that your little one gets to have a childhood that includes a mom and a dad. Praying your social worker kicks into high gear and gets your written report done!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going through this has made me see even more what an awesome dad he is--both to our two and the one(s) that will soon join our family. What a blessing he is!

      Delete